An Ultimate Guide to Write Social Media Copy That Converts
What is it about social media that makes it so highly appreciated as a marketing tool? Well, for starters, there are more than 3 billion active users worldwide. Next, it allows you to reach your target audience directly, engage with them, and give them all the reason they need to love your brand. You can showcase your products, skills, team members, and even the story behind your brand. Of course, you’ll need to know how to write a social media copy that converts.
If you understand the power of social media is immense but aren’t quite sure what it takes to nail it, we’ve got you covered. Below, you’ll find the ultimate guide for writing social media copies that convert.
Let’s dig deeper.
- Start With a Goal Writing for social media is all about strategizing and planning all your steps ahead. There’s no room for “just winging it” and hoping for the best.
Your competition is strong, so you need to step it up and make sure each post counts.
The essential step you’ll need to make is to set up a clear goal for each copy. That means deciding:
- what effect you want to make
- what you want your audience to learn/do/write/say/think
There can be so many goals for a social media copy, from providing simple entertainment to having more people buy your latest product.
Whatever your goal is, make sure you clearly define it for each social media copy that you make.
- Segment Your Target Audience Learning about your target audience is a process that requires time and patience. Naturally, you’ll know the basic characteristics of your target audience, such as their age, sex, online behavior, habits, etc.
But, you’ll need to dig deeper than this and segment them based on the social media platforms you use.
Here’s what that means:
- learn what your target audience on each platform prefers
- adjust your copy for different platforms
- track your results and always look for improvement
So, a person following you on Facebook will be more interested in a long-form social media post than a person on Twitter.
Segment your audience and make sure they get exactly what they want across all your platforms.
- Stay True to Your Brand Personality
Authenticity and honesty are among the top priorities for so many people who are following a brand or a business. If you aren’t able to show who you are and stay true to it on your social media platforms, you’re bound to fail.
Therefore, stay true to your brand personality. Make sure to showcase it in terms of:
- brand tone & voice
- vocabulary you use
- writing style
Your followers need to recognize it’s you based on a single line of text they see in their news feed. Stay true to your unique style and personality to make sure people think of you as a genuine brand.
- Write Killer Headlines
Imagine your typical potential customer scrolling down their news feed. There are hundreds of images,
headlines, CTAs, and videos flashing in their faces.
If you don’t make your headlines attention-grabbing, you won’t be able to get them to stop scrolling and read your copy.
Headlines can make you or break you, so make sure to follow these simple rules:
- provide all the essential information
- evoke curiosity and emotions
- make it strong and powerful
A weak headline such as “Books For You” will get you nowhere. But, a strong one such as “Top 10 Books You’ll Love Reading This Christmas” is a whole other story.
- Mention Their Pain Points If you want a strong social media copy that converts, you have to give people a reason to read it and take action. The best way to do it is to address their pain points.
This will make them feel like you’re talking directly to them, and they’ll be more willing to check out what you have to say.
Here’s what we have in mind:
- Do you have trouble falling asleep?
- It’s hard to quit smoking, right?
- You need to improve your digital marketing- we’ve got you covered!
They need to see you know exactly what they need, and you’ve got what it takes to make them overcome an issue, solve a problem, or start feeling better.
- Include a CTA Including a call-to-action to your social media copy is an old golden rule that never seems to fail. It’s clear that you need to steer their actions and make sure your social media copy reaches its goal.
Therefore, include a short but clear CTA into each social media copy, and invite your followers to take action.
Here’s a couple of examples:
- What’s your favorite style? Leave a comment below!
- Check out our summer collection!
- Book your seat now!
Include links they can click and follow to the right landing pages and help them engage with you the right way.
- Address Them Directly If you want to further amplify the power of your social media copies, make sure you address your target audience directly. This will make sure each of your posts catches their attention and provides the right type of content they need.
Make sure to:
- use “you” and “your” a lot
- ask them questions
- address them by their status, pain points, a group they belong to, or any other characteristics
Let’s say you’re writing a social media post about autumn rubber boots for rain. Compare the two examples:
- Nobody wants to have wet feet- check out our rubber rain boots!
- Hey, fashion lovers! Do you need a pair of stylish rain boots that will keep your feet dry? We’ve got what you need!
The second example is much more specific and directed specifically to a target group of people who have a very specific need or problem. And that’s what will make your copy convert!
- Make it Easy to Read If you want your copy to convert, you have to make sure everybody understands it. And we mean everybody.
If you start complicating things and make it hard for people to get your message, you’ll lose a significant number of people.
So, make sure that you:
- use simple vocabulary
- write short and concise sentences
- quickly get to your point
Make sure you use simple sentence structure and make your social media copy instantly understandable. Don’t force your followers to use any effort to get your message or understand what you wanted to say.
- Add Visuals Visuals are an extremely powerful addition to your social media copy that can turn things around for you completely.
Good visuals make the post look nice and entertaining. Powerful visuals make the most more relevant, relatable, and understandable.
Make sure that you include visuals that:
- complement the content
- help the readers understand the point
- strengthen your message
Visuals such as images, infographics, GIFs, or memes will grab their attention and ensure they continue reading to see what else is there to learn or understand.
- Use Emoji & Hashtags Another way to make your social media copies even richer and more visually appealing is to use emoji and hashtags.
However, make sure you do it properly to contain your credibility and brand personality.
Here’s what you need to know about emoji:
- use them wisely, and don’t overstuff your posts with them
- use them to substitute a simple word or to illustrate your point better
Hashtags are great for:
- making your posts more popular
- helping your target audience find your content
Make sure to use as many as 4-5 hashtags and emoji per post to make the post more fun, entertaining, attention-grabbing, or informative.
- Edit & Proofread If you think you’ve got what it takes to write the perfect social media copy in just one take, we salute you. Still, it’s always better to rethink your first draft and improve it until you feel there’s no more room for adjustment.
Editing and proofreading are extremely important in the process of making a social media copy that converts. Make sure that you:
- proofread for typos, grammar mistakes, and spelling mistakes
- edit to create the perfect word flow and ease of reading
- read out loud or ask a friend to do so
In case you need help with any of this, check out this paper writing website that can assist with all the stages of creating a social media copy that converts.
Writing quality social media copies is a challenging task that requires some serious planning and strategizing. Still, with the right guidance and determination, you can create a killer social media writing strategy that will make each of your copies convert.
Use the tips we’ve shared above and apply them to your social media writing strategy. Turn it around by using these writing secrets, and you’ll see an improvement in your results sooner than you expect.
Author’s bio. Daniela McVicker is a passionate digital marketer. Daniela is interested in everything related to SEO and blogging. She collaborates with Essayguard and other websites where she shares her experience and helps marketers make their names in the online world.Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Pinterest